Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Time and Money by Walt Barrett

   What is time? Logic dictates that time is several things.  To my scientist side it means that although time may be infinite, I only have a certain amount of it to spend.  To my businessman side, time is a form of currency. Lets focus on the business side today.  In order to acquire success, or the things that you need in life, because that is also success, you have to spend time.  How you spend your time has a great deal to do with how much your ration of time is and how much your ration of success is.  If you abuse your health badly for example, you won't have as much time to worry about your successful future.
   I'll give you an example.  Lots of times when I meet a person for the first time they will tell me how "lucky" I am to have such a successful business.  That is my cue to smile and tell them that "luck had nothing to do with it.  I worked sixteen hour days for 15 years to build our Internet business".  I'm not complaining either because I enjoy the business building process.  I work hard and I play hard, I take great vacations and I spend lots of time with my family.  So what's my point?  My point is that we all have to ration our time properly unless we really don't care about being successful. In that case, squander all the time you want.  Everyone really knows this but they just need to be reminded from time to time.  It's very easy to fall into the abyss, but oh so difficult to climb back out.
   You cannot find success by browsing the Internet all day, or by playing the various games and chatting on the social networking pages.  The Key word about the Internet is "networking"  Since 1995 I have made my best connections for both business contacts and products to sell by browsing the Internet.   But, I had to budget my time because in the beginning I found myself addicted to it.  You have to set aside time to work and time to browse.  It's the same with all of the other pastimes in life like watching TV, playing video games, drinking, drugs, smoking, gambling and on and on and on. They are all addictive to humans.  So all I am saying is that life, health, and success all boil down to choices. No one is telling you what to do.  This is just my simple view of time, health, success, and money.  I just want to make a point that success is not about luck and it is all about time.  There is a time to work, a time to play, and a time to study and improve your lot in life.  It's in your hands and no one else's.
Personally I gave up blaming other people for my failures a long time ago.  It didn't help a bit.

1 comment:

  1. For me, this is a timely and helpful article. In reference to the closing paragraph, I want to add a footnote. We occasionally have to explain our failures -- and successes-- in a way which shows we understand the contributions which others make. On another point: someone is telling us what to do, _sometimes. After those, I'll just say thanks for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete