Thursday, September 6, 2012

Losing Weight Is Not Rocket Science by Walt Barrett

   First off, we are not selling weight loss products or exercise machines here.  As a person who is age 79 and very concerned about his own health I have already lost 25 pounds this year (8 months) and I am simply passing on a little information that has been extremely helpful to me.  By this time with all the information that is out there on the Internet and the TV news most of us should be well aware of the health risks of being overweight.  Let me just mention a few like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, bowel, liver, kidney disease and there are a lot more, believe me,  so let's get right down to brass tacks.
   I can tell you right off the bat that you have to be very patient to lose weight.  I tried several variations before I got my act together.  The most difficult part is sticking to it.  I do not have a magic bullet to make myself or anyone else instantly lose weight. So I'm going to cut right through it and tell you what is finally working for me.
1.  I keep track of my calories which after a couple of weeks gets real easy to remember the values of the various foods in my diet. The food calorie values are all over the Internet for free.
2.  I had to cut out Alcohol, sugar, salt, all fatty fried foods, butter, soda, fructose, white bread etc.  See the lists on the Internet.
 3. I try to keep my calories under 1500 per day.  A little less for a women.  
   I have cereal with  fruit in it and prunes in a side dish, coffee and a  small glass of skim milk for breakfast.  A sandwich, small skim milk and a small yogurt for lunch. and dinner is 3 oz of lean meat with green and yellow vegetables, brown rice and a diet desert.  We have it all figured so that it comes out around 1500 calories for the day.
I also drink water between meals but never was a big water drinker.
I stick pretty close to this diet and rarely eat out.  Basically most people already know what's good for them and what's not.  
I ride 10 miles a week on a bike in the gym  too.  
It's up to each person.  I also gave up smoking in 1998.  Most people have some control over their health.  It's as simple as that.  Make a program for yourself and stick to it as closely as possible.  It's always advisable to consult with your doctor if you can.  Just don't stop eating altogether.
It's really up to you.  
Some people choose life and some people choose death. 
Walt Barrett







No comments:

Post a Comment